Uncover the benefits of this treatment method
If you’ve ever been to occupational therapy, you may have experienced a form of treatment known as manual therapy, where your therapist uses their hands to apply different techniques. Manual therapy is commonly included in a treatment plan because of its many positive effects on the body, which can address all aspects of your health and wellness, including your psychological and physiological well-being.
Our therapists at Hand in Hand Rehabilitation utilize manual therapy to treat a wide range of conditions. Call us today to learn more and schedule an appointment!
What is Manual Therapy?
Manual therapy is based on therapeutic, hands-on techniques that promote healing and relaxation of the surrounding tissues. This method is often used to improve musculoskeletal pain and restrictions in the joints or soft tissues.
Manual therapy techniques require skilled hand movements from a trained therapist to improve joint range of motion, tissue mobility, reduce swelling, and free up restrictions that affect a patient’s ability to participate in functional activities.
Our therapists use manual therapy techniques to improve several conditions, such as chronic pain, joint stiffness, upper extremity pain, and sports injuries.
Manual Therapy Techniques
There are several manual therapy techniques that we apply at Hand in Hand Rehabilitation. These can include:
- Massage: Hand therapy massage treatments are a little different than those you might see at a spa. These are meant to be more therapeutic in nature, rather than relaxing. Our Carle Place & Manhattan hand therapists use massage treatments as a way to manipulate the soft tissues, working to break up scar tissue and adhesions caused by inflammation or injury. This is done through deep pressure and rhythmic stretching, allowing them to find and mobilize areas of your body that are heavily restricted.
- Joint mobilization: When you experience severe pain after sustaining an injury, it is usually the result of a restricted joint. Our Carle Place & Manhattan hand therapists are trained in loosening restricted joints by applying pressure at a low velocity. Mobilization and manipulation techniques are safe, effective, and painless, allowing for an increase in your range of motion, and the breakdown of the joint’s barrier.
- Lymphatic Drainage: A major concern for those who undergo surgical procedures is the possibility of lymphedema. Lymphedema is a condition that causes swelling in the arms, due to a blockage in the lymphatic system. Our Carle Place & Manhattan hand therapists can perform manual lymphatic drainage by applying light pressure (similar to a massage) on the affected arm, in order to encourage the drainage of fluid, also known as lymph. Lymphatic drainage is typically followed by compression, in order to reduce swelling.
Surprising Benefits of Manual Therapy
Manual therapy can deliver many positive effects on the joints, muscles, and nerves. Here are some unexpected benefits:
- Helps you relax: An injury, condition, or physical stress can cause tension and fatigue in the muscles. Manual therapy helps relax tense muscles with methods like soft tissue massage. Many people feel physically and mentally calm following treatment with hands-on techniques.
- Helps you move better: While manual therapy is often associated with pain relief and therapeutic effects, it can actually improve your body’s movements. By easing stiffness in the muscles and joints, manual therapy methods can help improve your range of motion and restore functions that are lost or affected.
- Relieves your pain: Manual therapy can relieve pain by stimulating the “Gate Control” mechanism to essentially prevent the pain signals from traveling to your brain. It also leads to muscle inhibition and eases muscle tension and stiffness, contributing to your pain.
- Has positive psychological effects: By reducing pain, promoting relaxation, and releasing endorphins, manual therapy can have positive impacts on an individual’s psychological state. People who struggle with anxiety, depression, or high levels of stress can benefit from this technique.
- Enriches your overall health: The benefits of manual therapy reach all aspects of your health by increasing your blood flow, restoring function and reducing physical and psychological stress.
What to Expect From Sessions
Our therapists at Hand in Hand Rehabilitation will conduct a thorough, comprehensive evaluation of your condition. We may ask you questions about your medical history, symptoms you’ve been experiencing, and other health or lifestyle factors that could be contributing to your condition.
Following the evaluation, we will design a treatment plan that is customized to your unique needs and recovery goals. Your physiotherapist will integrate any manual therapy methods that are applicable to your condition.
Find Relief at Hand in Hand Rehabilitation Today.
Have you been experiencing pain or discomfort? Our recovery programs can help you manage symptoms, regain your independence, and make a safe and comfortable return to your daily activities.
Call Hand in Hand Rehabilitation in New York, NY or Carle Place, NY today to learn more about manual therapy and schedule an appointment!